Saturday, August 8, 2009

July 4th
















This morning we met up with Antonella for our tour of the Vatican, the museums, and St. Peter's Basilica. We first went through the museum that is literaly about a mile long, it's full of Roman antiquities like sculptures and paintings, and it eventually leads you to the Sistine Chapel. I imagined it a lot bigger and brighter, more lighting. Despite my expectations, it was very awe inspiring. It was amazing to learn about the stories that are depicted and interesting to learn about how Michelangelo was forced to paint the ceiling. After the chapel we headed into St. Peter's Basilica. A basilica is a large Catholic church that has a central nave and two side aisles formed by rows of columns. It was probably the largest space that I've ever been in! It was masive! The sculptures and columns match the scale of the building as well, just one of the letters writen on the wall was over 6 feet tall! It was quite impressive. After touring the basilica everyone was given the chance to climb up to the top of the domb and get amazing views of Rome, I unfortunately didn't go, I'm not feeling too well today so I decided to hang out with Darrin's (my teacher) family and headed back to the hotel were i later met up with my friends and went swimming. It was really fun, I was excited to get a chance to use my new swimming suit. The hotel pool is very nice, its funny because they make you wear these blue caps if you go in the water but luckly they were out! Tomorrow is a free day so I think we are going to go to chruch, should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment